The tailgate drive operates in a very tough mining environment and requires a tough, durable solution. NEPEAN Longwall’s AFC tailgate drive is based on our proven product range and has many NEPEAN Longwall innovations including:
- Drive frame ramp angle minimised to avoid unnecessary chain & flight wear.
- Shearer stop travels with the sliding section for improved shearer reach and tailgate cut-out.
- 70 mm thick replaceable bolted design BisPlate 450 wear strips
- 100 mm thick side plates and mounting plate for greater rigidity and support of the sprocket bearings
- Horizontal towing and vertical lifting points provided for ease of transport, balanced to ensure safe lifting
- Reversible sprocket interchangeable with Maingate (other chain configurations are available)
- Cradle type side plate profile for rigid bearing support and safe removal of the sprocket
- Single goaf-side tensioning ram, no face side tensioning ram
- Sliding section captivated in machined slide arrangement for smooth operation and accurate alignment of the sprocket
- Ram and guide designed to reduce the accumulation of fines and ensure reliable tensioner operation.
The tensionable tailgate allows the chain to be set to the correct tension for startup and AFC operation. In the past, chain tension tended to be managed manually but with the trend towards longwall automation, a reliable auto-tensioning system is essential. NEPEAN Longwall has developed a live tensioning system to effectively operate the tensionable tailgate drive frame and provide optimum AFC chain life. The principle of the system is adaptable to all AFC designs and utilises motor current data to activate the tensioning ram solenoid which extends the ram to pre-determined stroke or drive frame extension distances.